|Chocolate Lemon Meringue Cake|
It was Tessy’s birthday and we thought of baking a Lemon Meringue Chocolate Cake. Her few friends paid a surprise visit to celebrate the occasion. One of the feedbacks from a very dear friend Rema, posted below:
“Thank you guys. It was a yummy treat. You guys have layered tanginess and chocolate together. Reaching you from Al-Nahda inch by inch in this insane traffic to savor it were worth every delicious bit. Tessy dear, last but not the least wish you a lovely happy birthday. Surprise element: In anticipation of a chocolate cake with custard cream topping, on biting into it the lemon flavors fills you up-tangy lemon with saucy chocolate”
Thanks Rema and Chintu for your wonderful feedback .It was great to have you guys down and was a real pleasant surprise. Since you liked our cake we thought of sharing our recipe with all our followers and here we go……
150g unsalted butter
150g dark chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
30 ml water
220g caster sugar
100g all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup milk
200g caster sugar
30g corn flour
4tbsp lemon juice
1tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
220g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (I used white vinegar as a substitute)
4 egg whites
Preheat oven to 160ºC
Mix the butter, chocolate, vanilla and water in a saucepan under low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Allow it to cool down.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until pale and thick.
- Add the chocolate mixture and beat until combined.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa and pour into a 9” cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
- Remove the cooled cake from the tin.
- Place a16cm-round plate, up-side down, in the centre of the cake.
- Using a small, sharp knife, make a shallow cut around the plate.
- Carefully scoop out ¾ of the cake using a spoon to make a shell.(the base should be at least 1 cm thick)
To make the lemon curd
- Place ¾ cup milk and the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Mix the corn flour and remaining ¼ milk in a small bowl and pour the same into the milk and sugar mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the butter to the mixture and whisk under high flame until melted.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon rind and egg yolks. Reduce heat to medium and cook. Whisk continuously until thickened.
- Once cooked, pour the lemon curd into the cake shell and once it cools down refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Mix the sugar, water and cream of tartar (white vinegar) in a saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Boil the mixture and simmer for 3 minutes until cooked.
- Beat the egg whites until soft and fluffy.
- Gradually add the sugar mixture and beat until thick and glossy.
- Spread the meringue over the refrigerated cake or optionally serve the cake with a scoop of meringue
Recipe courtesy : Donna Hay